I’ve been with a team working on Business Glossary. So what is this Business Glossary?
Business Glossary enables data analysts, business analysts and subject matter experts to create a rich glossary of business terms, hierarchies and relationships. It links business concepts to technical metadata and exposes these linkages across the entire enterprise through three easy-touse, simple interfaces designed for specific user audiences
IBM InfoSphere Business Glossary enables creating and managing an enterprise vocabulary and classification system, with ready to use industry standard terms and definitions. Using this we can build a stronger business and IT alignment in Master Data Management, Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, and Application Consolidation and Migration projects.
Here are some of the advantages of using IBM InfoSphere Business Glossary
- An intuitive and web-based interface for exploration of business terms and categories that requires zero training.
- A business users’ gateway into information centric projects.
- Starting point for information governance programs, including data stewardship, business term development, and business lineage for verification of sources data.
- Empowers business users to get involved in validating data quality assessment programs.
- Promotes understanding, trust and confidence in information through business meaning and context.
- Facilitates the collaboration between business and technical users: data analysts, data modelers, BI and ETL developers, data stewards, business analysts, line of business managers, and governance committees.
- In-context access from “anywhere” or any application with just a click of a button.
- Directly embeddable into portals, mash ups, and web applications.
I’ve been seeing demos of some of the nice features that will come with the upcoming releases of BG. But this is not a good time to share them. In my upcoming blog I will share the business value of a business glossary. Stay tuned!