Metadata Workbench is primarily used to keep track of data lineage. So lets start with what is data lineage? Data lineage specifies the data’s origins and where it moves over time. It also describes what happens to data as it goes through diverse processes. Data lineage can help to analyze how information is used and to track key bits of information that serve a particular purpose.
IT professionals such as business analysts, data analysts, and ETL developers use IBM® InfoSphere™ Metadata Workbench to explore and analyze relationships between information assets in the metadata repository.
InfoSphere Information Server is a platform for integrating and enriching information across disparate source systems. It has an active and shared metadata repository layer using which InfoSphere Information Server can support a range of integration activities and user roles. These artifacts include technical metadata about the various sources of information, business metadata that describes the business meaning and usage of information and operational metadata that describes what happens within the integration process.
IBM InfoSphere Metadata Workbench provides this metadata management interface which supports not InfoSphere Information Server metadata and also other key metadata that are used in data integration processes.
InfoSphere Metadata Workbench highlights include:
● Web-based navigation of key information assets through an interactive and powerful interface provides an easy way for users to access critical information.
● Visual cross-tool and cross-platform data lineage enables an understanding of the complete information lineage, including where data came from and what happened to it as it moved across data integration processes, with extended
visibility into enterprise data flows outside of InfoSphere Information Server.
● Visual cross-tool impact analysis allows complete understanding of the impact of a change before the change is made, even when the impact extends beyond a single tool.
● Reporting on information assets, through simple and advanced search with save, repeat and publish capabilities, helps business and IT users to quickly understand complex environments.
● Automated linkages to InfoSphere Information Server metadata services help organizations reduce their overall IT costs and accelerate productivity.
● Collaboration and shared metadata with InfoSphere Business Glossary promotes data stewardship, business and IT alignment and better understanding of information assets.
● Various access levels for different user types provide the flexibility to customize requirement management and enforce information security.