In my previous blog, I mentioned the need of Platform as a Service. So where does BlueMix fits in?
BlueMix is a new open standards-based platform-as-a-service offering for building, running and managing web and mobile applications in the cloud. With BlueMix, developers can experiment with and try different languages, services and tools in order to quickly build engaging solutions. So in this new development environment, developers will be closely aligned to the business and have the flexibility and freedom to work quickly and be able to get their innovations into the market almost immediately.
I can see the following advantages that it offers:
Simplicity and Speed:
- In two minutes we can go from idea to search to coding via integrated development tools.
- Most of the things that a developer would need to write a modern mobile app is pre-integrated and preconfigured.
- Self-service to start, scale and make money!
Open and Flexible:
- BlueMix Framework and Services are built based on Open standard.
- Developers can use what they already use: MongoDB, Node.js, etc.
- Need something. Developers can find that in marketplace.
Brand Trust and Integration:
- Great security, support and reliability and so trusted by Fortune 500 companies.
- One can reuse existing business services to create new composable apps.
The following services are available on BlueMix today:
MapReduce service including Hive, BigSheets and BigSQL support – this service adds Hadoop-based analytics to an application, with advanced enterprise capabilities for unstructured information.
BLU Acceleration service – powerful, easy to use and agile platform for business intelligence, reporting and analytics on structured data.
SQL Database service – powered by DB2, it provides a managed database service to handle web and transaction workloads. Ideal for structured data.
Mobile Data service – simple data storage service to store objects that need to be created and persisted from mobile devices and apps.
- Cloudant JSON Database – Cloudant provides a JSON NoSQL database-as-a-service (DbaaS) for web-scale and mobile applications.