I spent some time reading about IBM InfoSphere BigInsights. In this blog, I wish to share the summary of what I read.
Need for a solution like BigInsights
Imagine if you were able to:
- Build sophisticated predictive models from the combination of existing information and big data information flows, providing a level of depth that only analytics applied at a large scale can offer.
- Broadly and automatically perform consumer sentiment and brand perception analysis on data gathered from across the Internet, at a scale previously impossible using partially or fully manual methods.
- Analyze system logs from a variety of disparate systems to lower operational risk.
- Leverage existing systems and customer knowledge in new ways that were previously ruled out as infeasible due to cost or scale.
Highlights of InfoSphere BigInsights
- BigInsights allows organizations to cost-effectively analyze a wide variety and large volume of data to gain insights that were not previously possible.
- BigInsights is focused on providing enterprises with the capabilities they need to meet critical business requirements while maintaining compatibility with the Hadoop project.
- BigInsights includes a variety of IBM technologies that enhance and extend the value of open-source Hadoop software to facilitate faster time-to-value, including application accelerators, analytical facilities, development tools, platform improvements and enterprise software integration.
- While BigInsights offers a wide range of capabilities that extend beyond the Hadoop functionality, IBM has taken an optin approach: you can use the IBM extensions to Hadoop based on your needs rather than being forced to use the extensions that come with InfoSphere BigInsights.
- In addition to core capabilities for installation, configuration and management, InfoSphere BigInsights includes advanced analytics and user interfaces for the non-developer business analyst.
- It is flexible to be used for unstructured or semi-structured information; the solution does not require schema definitions or data preprocessing and allows for structure and associations to be added on the fly across information types.
- The platform runs on commonly available, low-cost hardware in parallel, supporting linear scalability; as information grows, we simply add more commodity hardware.
InfoSphere BigInsights provides a unique set of capabilities that combine the innovation from the Apache Hadoop ecosystem with robust support for traditional skill sets and already installed tools. The ability to leverage existing skills and tools through open-source capabilities helps drive lower total cost of ownership and faster time-to-value. Thus InfoSphere BigInsights enables new solutions for problems that were previously too large and complex to solve cost-effectively.