Need for IBM Stewardship Center in Data Curation:
Managing Data Quality requires the joint effort of business and IT. Business defines the information policies that govern the data quality for an organization. Based on these policies, IT team implement rules so that any deviations in the data quality can be reported for business to review. For example, if the policy for a Bank is that the account holder’s age should be greater than 18. During data load, an ETL tool can run some profiling on the data to check how many records are violating this rule. Now these records needs to be shared with the business (non technical domain experts called Data Stewards) who can take appropriate action to fix the issue. As many data stewards become increasingly responsible for improving the value of their data assets, they need capabilities to help them manage these new requirements like:
- Collaborating across multiple lines of business to build information policies that support regulatory requirements
- Assessing the cost of poor data quality and managing such data quality issues to closure
- Engaging subject matter experts through business processes to review and approve corporate glossary changes
IBM Stewardship Center is a powerful browser-based interface that helps to bridge the gap between business and IT, providing a central location for users to collaborate on data governance and manage data quality issues. Stewardship Center is built on an open event management infrastructure, which makes it possible to integrate information server based stewardship seamlessly into your existing stewardship solutions and collaboration environments.
IBM Stewardship Center leverages the strengths of IBM® Business Process Manager to offer solutions to these challenges that can be used immediately or can be customized or extended to suit the specific needs of your organization. The capabilities that are provided with IBM Stewardship Center are divided into three categories: data quality exception management, governance and workflow notification, and performance metrics.
IBM Stewardship Center includes these components:
- The Data Quality Exception sample process application, which is a sample workflow for resolving data quality issues, which can be customized or extended.
- The Stewardship Center Application Toolkit, which can be used to extend the capabilities of the Data Quality Exception sample process application or to create your own custom workflows.
- The Email Notification process application, which can be used to notify users by email when governance events are generated in Information Governance Catalog.
- The Governance Rule Approval process application, which can be used to manage approvals for information governance rules from Information Governance Catalog.
For more information, see Overview of IBM Stewardship Center.
For a video see Tech Talk: Stewardship Center.